TEXT: Mark 16:15 – 18.
There are two concepts in our theme for the month of October 2020, POPULATING and THE KINGDOM. Let’s begin by x-raying the definition of these concepts.
POPULATING – this word is in the present continuous verb form which indicates that its required to be an action to be carried out now, today, tomorrow, regularly, in the future or on a daily bases. What action? The action; supplying, to increasing the number, providing, making available, filling up, acting to prepare and ensuring.
KINGDOM – this word is derived from two words meaning the Kings domain. Therefore, the dictionary explains it as a realm having a king or queen exercising power of rule. Territory or domain of a people over which a king rules. So the word, kingdom would depict sovereignty, dominion, rule, etc.
Every kingdom has a King, People and Territory. For this study we will focus on the Kingdom where Christ Jesus as King (Head, Ruler), his people (families of believers) and territory (Church – the called out ones – both church universal and local assembly). Therefore, I will be right to say ‘ensuring the increase of the Church’.
If to Christ our only king
Men redeemed we strive to bring,
Just one way this may be done—
We must win them one by one.
So you bring the one next to you,
And I’ll bring the one next to me;
In all kinds of weather, we’ll all work together,
And see what can be done;
If you’ll bring the one next to you,
And I bring the one next to me,
In no time at all we’ll have them all,
So win them, win them, one by one.
Side by side we stand each day,
Saved are we, but lost are they;
They will come if we but dare
Speak a word backed up by prayer. [Chorus]
Only cowards dare refuse,
Dare this gift of God misuse;
Ere some friend goes to his grave,
Speak a word his soul to save. [Chorus]
Not for hope of great reward
Turn men’s hearts unto the Lord;
Just to see a saved man smile
Makes the effort well worth while. [Chorus] Written by C. Austin Miles
- HOW TO ENSURE THE INCREASE OF THE CHURCH
But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.” When one of those at the table with him heard this, he said to Jesus, “Blessed is the man who will eat at the feast in the kingdom of God.” Jesus replied: “A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, ‘Come, for everything is now ready.’ “But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, ‘I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.’ “Another said, ‘I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I’m on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.’ “Still another said, ‘I just got married, so I can’t come.’ “The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.’ ‘Sir,’ the servant said, ‘what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.” Then the master told his servant, ‘Go out to the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full. Luke 14:13 – 24 NIV.
Now wherever you go, make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. And teach them to faithfully follow all that I have commanded you. And never forget that I am with you every day, even to the completion of this age. Matthew 28:19 – 20 TPT
Among us who are already in the Kingdom, the word used to describe How to ensure the increase of the Church is called EVANGELISM. According to Dr. Peter Wagner, three kinds of evangelism is identified;
- Presence Evangelism – sharing your faith (testimony) with others.
- Proclamation Evangelism – demonstrating the power of the gospel through the help of the Holy Spirit and leaving the results to God.
- Persuasion Evangelism – intentionally preaching so that there are results, such as believers being added to the Church. Disciples are the result of Evangelism.
There two doors into the Church:
- The Front – door: Inviting and bring people for events (programs) or opportunity to hear the gospel.
- The Side – door: this strategy involves the attempt to bring people into the church to hear the gospel through personal contact (informal contacts) with a church member or attendee.
Research has shown that the side-door strategy is more successful in reaching the unsaved for Christ. There are nine different words used to describe and translated as the word Evangelism in the NT language.
- Martureo – sharing your experience with others (bearing witnessing).
- Laleo – talking to others (Luke 19:5)
- Euaggelizo – telling others about Jesus
- Didasko – teaching others the gospel systematically (Matt 28:20)
- Dialegomai – answering reasonable objections
- Kataggello – driving home the gospel. (Acts 17:3)
- Kerusso – announcing the gospel so people can respond or Heralding (Acts 8:5)
- Mathateuo – convincing others to follow Jesus. Matthew 28:19 NIV ‘make disciples’
- Peitho – Persuade, those who are hesitant (II Corinthians 5:11, Acts 18:4). This does not mean we can talk them into being saved.
The conviction comes from the Holy Spirit but you could present it in such a way that all rejections are resolved completely. All these ways were deployed by Apostle Paul as he evangelize the gentile nations.
- WHY ENSURE THE INCREASE OF THE CHURCH
- It’s a command Matthew 28:19
- Sinner’s need (Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23, John 3:36, Matt 11:28)
- Love for Christ (II Corinthians 5:14)
- Love for others (John 1:41)
- Gospel stewardship (II Corinthians 4:11)
- The glory of God (John 15:1 – 8)
- Lack of workers (Matthew 9:37)
- Promise of a reward (Proverbs 11:25, II Corinthians 5:10, 5:11, I Corinthians 3:13, I Thessalonians 2:19 – 20)
I believe the hardest part of evangelism is getting started. But once you get started and God starts speaking through you, it can be one of the most joyful things you have ever done. It is an honour to go and tell others about Jesus. The gospel was not designed to be hoarded; it was designed to be shared. You were blessed to be a blessing. You were given the Holy Spirit for the sake of reaching out to others (Acts 1:8). You were saved to save others.
You can personalize Jesus’ command to “go and make disciples of all nations’ (Matthew 28:19) by going to your world. Go to your workplace…Go to your family…you have a sphere of influence. You have a group of people who will listen to what you have to say. Go to that world – the world to which God has called you. You are presented with a choice today to evangelize, don’t fossilize!
Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it. (James 4:17). Therefore, yield to the promptings of the Holy Spirit depopulate Hell and populate the kingdom of God.